Expats can get up to £ 300 for winter fuel payment: are you eligible? | Personal Finances | Finance

Winter fuel payments are meant to help low-income people during the coldest time of the year, when heating costs may become too high for them. However, payments are not limited to UK residents, although the application process is slightly different for those living abroad.

The general eligibility criteria for winter fuel payments are as follows:

  • Born on or before September 26, 1955
  • Lived in the UK for at least one day during the “qualifying week” which was September 20-26, 2021 for this winter season

However, anyone who was not in the UK during qualifying week may still be eligible for winter fuel payments if all of the following apply:

  • Person born on or before October 5, 1954
  • Live in Switzerland or in an EEA country
  • Have a genuine connection to the UK, for example having lived or worked in the UK or having family there
  • Covered by the Withdrawal Agreement in accordance with Brexit guidelines


Applicants from certain countries such as Cyprus, France, Gibraltar, Greece, Malta, Portugal and Spain are not eligible for winter fuel payments.

This is because the average winter temperature is warmer than the warmer part of the UK, so there aren’t as many extra costs during the cold season.

A misconception for expats is that in order to claim certain benefits while living abroad they must have originally claimed them when they were in the UK, this is not the case for fuel payments winter.

Payments can range from £ 100 to £ 300 to help pay heating bills during the winter months and it is important to note that this is separate from the cold weather payments.

Those who meet the eligibility criteria but are in these groups will need to apply for their winter fuel payment as well as anyone who has already received the payments but has since moved to Switzerland or a country in the EEE.

Individuals can make their complaint by phone or mail and full contact details can be found on the Gov.uk website.

Before calling, applicants living abroad are informed that they will need:

  • Their national insurance number
  • Their bank or mortgage company details
  • Their BIC and IBAN numbers
  • The date they got married or entered into a civil partnership, if applicable

Expats are also advised that they will need to complete a different winter fuel payment request form than those living in the UK.

About Matthew R. Dailey

Check Also

The government’s £650 cost of living payment will increase to millions from July 14

The government has announced that its £650 cost of living payments will start flowing to …