First European theme park to accept payments with Bitcoin
- In the first phase of the digitization project, the Spanish resort town PortAventura World will accept bitcoins as a means of payment in all of its parks and hotels next season.
- The most visited theme park in Spain and one of the most important in Europe is in line with the most current consumer trends.
The PortAventura World complex and theme park has become the first in Europe to accept bitcoin payments for the services it offers at its facilities in Tarragona, Spain.
This initiative is part of the digitization and innovation project implemented by the company PortAventura Entertainment, SAU, owner of the complex and of the joint venture it maintains with LaLiga. The joint venture delivers entertainment content through electronic games and corporate events in a hybrid format.
PortAventura World is a holiday and leisure complex located in the municipalities of Vilaseca and Salou de Tarragona. It is one of the main tourist attractions of the Spanish Costa Dorada, which received 5.2 million visitors in 2019.
From the next holiday season, foreign and Spanish tourists visiting this theme park, considered the most visited in Spain and the sixth in Europe, will be able to pay in bitcoins.
The initiative seeks to facilitate and expand payment options
PortAventura World is the tourist complex with the most theme parks in Europe. It is made up of two theme parks (PortAventura Park and Ferrari (NYSE 🙂 Land). In addition, it owns PortAventura Caribe Aquatic Park, six hotels with a total capacity of 2,300 rooms and other attractions.
The new payment option seeks to facilitate payments and expand its market in the region. The initiative will be launched at the start of next season next year at each of the resort’s hotels.
In this way, guests and visitors who wish to pay in bitcoins will be able to carry out their transactions in an agile, simple and secure way.
The company, which recorded assets (2019) valued at 546 million euros and a turnover of 241 million euros per year, has started a process of administrative transformation towards the digitization of payments. That is why, in the first stage of the project, it will accept bitcoin payments, but later it will be able to accept other cryptocurrencies operating in the market.
Innovate in the entertainment industry
“Promoting initiatives like this allows us to be aligned with the latest trends and meet the needs of our customers, which are essential to strengthen our position as a leading and innovative company in the entertainment industry”, explained the general manager of PortAventura business. World, David GarcÃa Blancas.
He said that âfrom PortAventura World we have been immersed in a deep process of digital acceleration with the aim of improving the experience of our visitors and to continue to promote new and innovative forms of entertainmentâ.
GarcÃa Blancas said that the complex is investing in these technological and digital transformation initiatives with the aim of moving to an online business model in line with current consumer trends.
On the reverse
- The company continues to strengthen the online channel in its marketing plans. For this, the development of the company’s website and application is encouraged.
- It has also strengthened the use of digital tools within its parks in order to further improve the customer experience.
- Competition for a slice of the larger leisure pie is pushing companies in the tourism and entertainment industry to explore new markets.
Why should you care?
- The use of cryptocurrencies in global commerce continues to grow every day. More and more small, medium and large businesses are accepting bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies as a method of payment for goods and services.
Sign up to get the crypto flip side
Upgrade your inbox and receive our DailyCoin editor’s picks 1x per week straight to your inbox.[contact-form-7]
You can always unsubscribe with just one click.
Fusion media or anyone involved with Fusion Media will accept no responsibility for any loss or damage resulting from reliance on any information, including data, quotes, graphics and buy / sell signals contained in this website. Please be fully informed about the risks and costs associated with trading in the financial markets, it is one of the riskiest forms of investing possible.